Sunday, September 12, 2010

The "Right Way" to Sing



Almost everyone comes to lessons looking for the "right way" to sing.  Yes, there are some rules that should be followed to allow you to be a healthy, consistent and unique singer.  But there is also the rule of balance.  I may ask you to work on getting your voice to resonate forward, in the mask of your face.  Or, I may just ask you to focus on containing the air and keeping the vocal cords closed instead of pushing the air "forward."  When it comes to this, it's about balance.  My cues for you are going to be based on your voice, your experience, your level of training, etc.  Don't focus on an absolute "right" or "wrong" answer.  Trust your coach.  Trust the process, and aim for personal excellence.

What are you working on right now?  Post your practice time, your exercises, and your singing goals to COMMENTS.

Love,
Mel

2 comments:

  1. One of my goals is to be able to sing "The Only Exception" bridge.
    I'm also trying to teach myself "Miserable At Best" on piano.
    I sing probably both of those songs everyday or more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im also trying to teach myself miserable at best on piano shelby! I am so excited for this weekend, i just need make sure i warm up properally.. i cant spell -_-

    ReplyDelete