Sunday, November 28, 2010

And the winner is...

The "Level 1" Contest was a race to see who would be the first MMVS students to receive their Level 1 Certifications for Mel's Vocal Program.  Level 1 requirements are listed on this blog's list of links on the right hand side.  They include practice time, blog posting, anatomy of the voice, music theory, song projects and performance evaluations.  1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners won prizes including a free hour lesson at MMVS, free attendance to a performance workshop, awesome iPod ear buds, mad bragging rights, and a featured video on the MMVS youtube channel.

Meet your 1st Place contest winners:
Katie Hodes and Jordan Kellogg!





Jordan Kellogg
Age: 15
Band name: NEVER4GET
School: Lauralton Hall
Instruments: Piano, some guitar
Fave singers: taylor swift, katy perry, ben gibbard
Fave band: jack's mannequin
Fave things to do: singing, dancing, piano & guitar
Best subjects in school: choir and english
Fave NEVER4GET Song: you better rain
What I love most about music: the fact that you can express yourself without actually having to say anything. it can totally express and change your mood, depending on what you're listening to. 
when I go through an experience that really emotionally effects me in some way, or I just randomly think of a good idea (this rarely happens)
What I look for in a friend: funny, funny, really funny, trustworthy and nice!
Best thing from the 80s: legwarmers, and neon outfits
Best thing from the 90's: boy bands...backstreet's back alrightttt
In five years I will be: 20 and writing amazing songs with my bestfrand katie ;)

Music video for "Forgive & Forget" by NEVER4GET 





Katie Hodes
Age:16
Band Name: NEVER4GET
Schoo: sHeLtOn HiGh  
Instruments: I play the guitarrrrr
My favorite color is and always will be PINKKK
My favorite singers are Tswift, carrie underwood, Christina Aguilera, Aly&aj, and katy perry
My favorite bands are boys like girls and the maine
my favortie activities that i do in my spare time are singing, song writting, guitar & dancing
My best subject in school is englishhhh
My favorite original song would be "shine" or "you lied"
I'm an only child
What I love most about music is it changes your mood and you can get inspired by lyrics. Sometimes it helps you get over a break up, or it makes you wanna dance. 
What inspires me to write songs is usually guys who have hurt me in the past, things that are going on with friends, loving or missing something or someone. I usually cry when im writting sad songs because i write in the moment. If something bad is happening i will write something down quickly after.
What I look for in a friend is someone who is crazy funny, trustworthy and loyal. Also someone who would have my back no matter what happened. I made some mistakes with friends in the past and i need to chose people that i can really rely on.
Best thing from the 80's: idk i wasnt alive???? i like this decade 
Best thing from the 90's: i kinda miss Britney Spears and the back street boys 
In five years I will be... partying it up being 21 living it up in hollywood with Jordan. And some hit songs out there :P

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations Jordan & Katie!

    Everyone, please post your goals for achieving Level 1 as well as your best guess as to what will be required for Level 2!

    Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goals are simply just to be a better singer. I want to attain a better understanding how we sing and how to protect my voice. I want to better understand music theory. I want, like every singer, to be able to blend my head and chest voice and get better at controlling my voice, 'cause I know that that's my biggest issue right now. Those are my goals, and I wull work my ass off to achieve them.
    As for Level 2, maybe Melissa wants us to write and record our own song then find ways to improve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04854XqcfCY

    My goads to to becoming a better singer too, I want to be able to control my voice in anyway i can. I want to be pitch perfect and all of that cool stuff! and once again, Congradulations to katie and jordan!

    im taking a crap talkin break until round 2 starts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mel I want to sing Drift Away- Uncle Kracker please!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richard, first learn Dobie Gray's version of it!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YITSpJZWs0

    ReplyDelete
  6. u got it! and my measureable goal is to hit not an F# without screaming but an Ab

    ReplyDelete
  7. (This is Marisa, my moms name is popping up for some reason!)

    I had my second lesson with Melissa the other day, and loved it! :)

    I really like how I'm able to pick all of my own material, and I like how Melissa will take the time to learn it on guitar/transpose it, and then go back and explain what she did to get that sound on the guitar, helping me to understand it more.

    For level one, I would like to become comfortable with the music I've written, and be able to put it to music.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My current goal is to improve my vocal range, along with learning the proper way of holding a steady,clean note. I also want to "pitchify" my own songs so that everything comes together nicely. And finally My most important goal is to try and stay on track with my music, while dealing with the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now we're getting some good goals going!
    Marisa, it is so great to have you at MMVS. Can't wait to work on the stuff you've written... and I have a feeling several other students will be around to help you out whenever you're ready!

    ReplyDelete
  10. my goal is to be able to hit higher notes easily, i want to strengthen my combination voice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. my goal is to gain my confidence when i'm singing, like we talked about yesterday. I want to strengthen my combination voice too.
    and as for level 2...songwriting perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You girls are on the right track.

    We're setting up some good goals here. Stay tuned for more from me on this topic.

    Our goals should reflect our biggest, wildest dreams... and then we need to have plans on how we're going to reach our goals.

    This way we're always walking directly toward our heart's desire.

    ReplyDelete
  13. BTW! Katie is awesome cuz she likes boys like girls and the maine, they r amazing. ok the end. Mel, get ready, soon i will post the longest most ...............uh............pointless post i have ever posted!

    ReplyDelete