Monday, November 22, 2010

Performance Workshop Recap

Yesterday ROCKED.  As Richard would say, it was "dude awesome."   Fifteen MMVSers got together to figure out what makes a performance truly memorable and bring some of that to their own performances.  The answers ranged from "energy, emotion and originality" to "professionalism, ability to handle mistakes, and vocal range/power."  Ultimately, we agreed that there are four keys to an awesome performance.

Preparation (Seeking perfection through lessons, practice, rehearsal, song selection, research of venues and getting to know your strengths/weakness)
Experience (Gaining professionalism by working the microphone, managing your monitors, handling mistakes on stage, getting over your nerves and reading the crowd)
Action (Movement, stage presence, stage set-up, expression, dynamics, crowd interaction, band interaction.  What you do, visually, to make the audience feel something)
Connection (Connecting with the music, the audience, and yourself.  This is when the magic happens.)

You guys made some great points about these four categories.  You all seemed to agree that while "connectivity" is what makes a good performance a great one, you could never truly get there without preparation, experience and action.

Funny - that's the point that I was gonna make!


Next we were treated to a brief performance from every student in attendance.  Everyone volunteered and everyone was inspiring!  We did not critique technique.  We talked about how we felt as audience members - and as performers - during each song.   I hope you all learned that even though you might be nervous or in unfamiliar situations, you can still make a roomful of people feel like they are "having oatmeal in front of a fire" or "instantly happy and excited" just by sharing a bit of who are you are inside.

Lastly, we were treated to a little chat with Kicking Daisies' managers, Brian Murphy and Rich Herzfeld.  They talked about the importance of connecting with the audience - not just impressing them.  We also talked about the hard work involved and how amazing you all are for being committed to your passion for music.  It sets you apart, and I'm so proud to know you!

All in all, I thank you for a great day and I hope you had a great time.  Please take a moment to post your feedback to comments.  You are shaping the MMVS workshops and programs for 2011!  If you didn't attend the workshop, please answer all that apply.

1. How did you feel about your performance before you sang vs. right after you sang at the workshop?
2. What were the most important things you learned?
3. Was there a performance that was special to you?  That really moved you?
4. What areas of performance (Preparation, Experience, Action, Connection) do you feel come easily to you?  Which ones are you committed to working on in 2011?
5. What topics would you like to see covered in the future workshops?  What activities would you like to do with your fellow MMVS artists?

14 comments:

  1. 1. Well, I didn't sing (as Falzone pointed out immediately), but I will tell you that before the workshop I was verrrry excited and a little nervous. After the workshop I was ridiculously grateful to all of you for being so supportive of each other. And my face hurt from smiling and laughing all afternoon!

    2. I learned to NEVER, EVER underestimate any of you. And I also think that I should probably encourage you to gain more experience early in your learning process. You're all ready to sing on stage NOW. I didn't know that until yesterday.

    3. I can list all of you. But off the top of my head... Cole - he has a fierceness within him that I've never heard him let out while singing. That was fun. Shelby - she loved the song she was singing and made us love her because of it. Steph - immediately showing us beauty and grace, from the first note. Frank - strength, composure, and a commanding tone.

    4. It took me a long time to be able to connect with myself 100% of the time. I was often very preoccupied with doing/saying/singing the right things in the right way. Through experience with different types of music and different types of people, I learned to let go. These weren't the types of things I went over with any of my vocal coaches, which is why I'm determined to bring it to your attention right away!

    5. I see us on a big stage rocking out with a full band, rehearsing, gaining experience in that environment, and putting on the showcase of a lifetime!
    And then we do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a little book called Art of the Solo Performer, I read that a good performer jumps on stage and says to himself, "Here I am!" A great performer jumps on stage and, looking out at the audience, says, "There you are!" It sounds like the students have that all figured out. Pass the oatmeal, please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @DW, maybe you can come to our next one and share your infinite wisdom with us!

    @carodvisek, you know it's my pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I felt my performance at the workshop was a solid 8/10. i felt i connected with the song, the audiance, and my guitar. I did not feel any nerves getting up there. I wanted to do it really badly. I had more nerves when i was introducing myself to the group. I felt i hit the weird notes perfectly and I had fun.
    2. I learned that its harder to talk infront of people than sing.
    3. EMMA CONVERSE WAS FLIPPING INSANLY AMAZING
    4. Experience, Action, Connection. I could be more prepared before shows as i seldom warm up.
    5. I would really be interested in writing songs with fellow members

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1- Before i sang i was a little nervous but then i felt more confident about singing, and I didn't feel as nervous.
    2- The most important things i learned were what makes a good performance about how you should really get into the song and make it exciting for the people watching you, not boring. I also learned how you shouldn't be nervous. Just to have fun with what you're doing.
    3- Everyones preformance moved me because they really showed how into their music they were and how they put being nervous behind and just had an amazing performance.
    4- An area of performance that comes easy to me would be preparation because before an event i'm mostly prepare. What i'm comitted to work on in 2011 would be experience, action and connection.
    5- A topic that i would like to see coverd would be writing songs on our own.
    An activity that i would like to do would be all of us singing together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww I'm so bummed I couldn't make it =/, Oh well next time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think only question 4 really applies to me since I did not make an appearance

    4. None really come easy to me, I find it very nerve racking singing for a huge crowd of people, For 2011 I believe I need to be at a greater comfort level when it comes to playing for an audience in order to really connect with them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Richard and Steph - great thoughts and suggestions, thanks!

    Luis, you are doing great things and are already growing as a performer. Today was a breakthrough for you! Congrats! And definitely think about what topics you'd like covered in future workshops.

    Oh Richard... I really can't wait to work on your video. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. i was nervous before, and thoroughly embarrassed myself :P but during and afterwords i felt great :)

    2. The most important thing i learned i think was that i should believe in myself and remember that "i am in control of peoples lives for a few minutes" when im singing, as falzone said :P so i should try not to be nervous or scared because i know i can do it.

    3. oh gosh i can't pick.

    4. probably preparation

    5. hmmm. i don't know! maybe just how to get out there in the music world, and what to do to make yourself known.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. I thought I sounded decent. Not great but not bad either. Before I sang I was wondering what I was going to sing but I wasn't really nervous. I felt all right after, but I felt like I always feel that I could've done better.
    2. I learned alot of importat things, but the most important was how important connection is. I was aware of it but I could feel it in some of the performances after and when I listened to live performances like Queen when I got home.
    3. Emma was really good. She spoke about how she was nervous and all, but she did give me chills. Her voice was so soothing and really sriking. Definitely my favorite performance.
    4. Connection
    5. Stage antics, how to use a microphone properly, using what you learned in the studio on stage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. Nervous and very not confident. I could have done better, and it was katie's part nrfu8he4s7vherwiukvn437eriubgvdf
    2. I learned a lot about connecting with your audience and all of the factors that go into being on stage. I really have to work on all of that stuff and I guess the best way to do that is with experience!
    3.I don't really want to pick one but I did really like Nicole's like Duran said...the oatmeal thing..she made you feel warm and happy!
    4. Preparation comes easy. Action and connection...not so much
    5. I'd like to write songs with everyone! that would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1.OMG! i was sooo scared to get up there and sing. I guess being in a room with all singers was kinda scary for me. who knows why! LOL. At the end i thought i did ok....but i deff could have done better.

    2. I learned that connection is sooooo important. Your audience will eventually get bored when there is no connection.

    3.I really really loved all the performances. I really loved Nicole's though. Very relaxing and as Duran would say "it made me feel like i was eatting oatmeal in front of a fireplace." LOL. I also really loved Coles and Richards performances too. I would so totally put their songs on my ipod. LOVED IT!!!!!

    4. Preparation is deff easiest. I would to work on perfecting all of them. I want to be the best I can be!

    5. I think we should make a MMVS CD!!!! That would be sooo much fun!! We could write songs and do cover songs!

    ReplyDelete